Thursday, June 7, 2007

My tryst with journalism

Journalism as a profession has always fascinated me. Being a keen observer of what is happening around the world, journalism was my first choice. I became a journalist by intent and not by default. Being a voracious and regular reader of newspaper and magazines, I nursed an ambition to be a good and successful journalist. Going through the newspaper half sleepy and bleary eyes, sipping hot coffee was a routine from my younger days. Newspaperman tossing the paper into the veranda, with the shout of Paper! Was my awake up call?
Daily dose of chiding and reproof from my mother not withstanding, I never gave up the habit of flipping the pages of newspaper, before rushing off to school and latter to college.

With high hopes of a rosy future, at the back of my mind, I entered the department of journalism, Andhra University, with a resolve not to commit mistakes I did throughout my not so distinguished career. Absorbing the rudiments of journalism, enjoyed occasion spat with colleagues, which left among us with no rancor or ill will. We enjoyed greater freedom compared to our friends in other departments of the University.

But, it took me no time to realise, that a degree in journalism was no ticket for plum post in leading dailies. Sneered and lookdown by senior journalists, I was left wondering, whether I committed a mistake in choosing journalism as a profession. Running around newspaper offices only to be informed by the polite editor, ‘you don’t fit the bill’. Promises by journalistic friends of a good break in leading newspapers never materialized. With no contacts, joining newspaper office became next to impossible. Too many people chasing too few jobs, with the competition being cutthroat, I advise people who intend to become journalists to think twice before they jump the gun.

Very few of friends took up journalism as full-time profession. Working in late night shifts and not so good pay pack forced many students to opt for other profession. I thought they would have made a mark for themselves, if they choose journalism as profession. After running around newspaper offices in vain, I settled for teaching profession, training young potential journalists, with a fond hope they would be torchbearers of journalism. Iam greatly endowed to my teachers who have shaped my career, showering on me jewels of wisdom and erudition. To them, I bow in reverence!

No comments: